Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Exodus after the Exodus

When I continued reading the book of' Exodus following the isrealite's journey across the Red Sea and the issuing of the ten commandments I became confused about the nature of God as a character in the plot.
While he claims himself to be a compassionate and patient diety, he continues to have these volitile fits of rage where he threatens to kill all of the Jews. Why is it that an omnipotent being capable of creating the universe is subject to such a human flaw as irrational emotion?
I thought that perhaps it had something to do with the author of this particular book, and upon closer reading I guessed that it is the "J" author. She does not fear God, but rather is inclined to give him humanlike traits, leading me to believe that these outbursts are included for a particular reason.
These exibitions of humanlike behavior support the idea introduced through the fact that God shares diologue face to face with Moses that God is not unlike his creation, making him easier to understand. This seems to me to fulfill the J agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment