Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Absalom Absalom

Ok, so my musical blogs are probably getting old, but this one is just too perfect.
I've made it as far as Samuel in the bible, and the story I have been thinking about this week was actually mentioned in class today, prompting me to share this song with you: http://www.archive.org/details/EricWhitacreWhenDavidHeard

Eric Whitacre is one of my favorite composers and I've played numerous pieces of his during my years as a band geek . The song is called When David Heard and it is a choral piece based on
2 Samuel 18:33
"When David heard that Absalom was slain He went up into his chamber over the gate and wept, and thus he said: my son, my son, O Absalom my son, would God I had died for thee!"
This story and song are the very essence of grief and suffering. I am a firm believer that in order to really succeed in being an effective storyteller you have to find a way to make yourself and your audience feel the emotions you wish to convey, whether through the use of a grown man weeping for his son or the haunting voices of a choir. That is exactly what Whitacre and Samuel do.

No comments:

Post a Comment