Thursday, October 15, 2009

wherever you go, I will go.

So I've made it to Ruth.
I like this story because of the loyalty shared among women when women are so often depicted as deceitful and manipulative in the bible.
Long story short, a woman named Naomi has two sons that both married Moabites but then died. She told her daughter-in-laws that they can return to their homeland, since they really have no reason to stay anymore, and the other one (Orpah) does, but Ruth stays to help Naomi: "For wherever you go, I will go. Wherever you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die, I will die and be buried."
It turns out Naomi had a rich relative on her husband's side (Boaz), who heard about Ruth's loyalty to her mother-in-law Naomi, and in turn ensured that she would be safe while she worked in the fields. When Ruth tells Naomi about Boaz, she concocts a plan to set Ruth up with him to produce an heir in the stead of her dead son Ruth's husband. Ruth does as she's told, and Boaz ends up marrying her and acquiring the land that belonged to her husband.

You would think this soap opera would be an allegory for loyalty and taking care of your family, and it is in a way, but at the end P steps in and turns it into a lesson on David's family tree.

Ruth and Boaz have a son named Obed who has a son named Jesse, who is the father of David.

It is interesting to see such a mixture of authors and writing styles within a single story. While the tale of Ruth and Naomi is unified and constructed like a myth, the lineage of David is a tell tale P list. I prefer the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment