Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lost in Translation

While visiting Great Falls this past weekend I attended a church that was drastically different from my own, we'll call it field research. (By the way I don't mean to sound critical if you go to a church like this I just felt awkward.)
Like any contemporary church this one had both a worship band complete with drum set and electric keyboard and a large projector screen. During the sermon, the speaker (I'm not sure what to call him. A minister? certainly not a preacher.) Quoted both the NLV and NIV of the bible coupled with a powerpoint. As I do in our Bible as Lit class, I used my King James Version of the bible and couldn't help but think about the Age of Men, moreso the Age of Chaos. This Bible they used was so informal, so close to modern day language that I no longer felt like I was reading a sacred text, but a dentist office magazine. Is this a tool to make religion more accessible to the masses or is this the degeneration of language?
Two people were baptized that day and communion was taken by the congregation, both without the reading of scripture as I was raised with. It seems that the Bible has had more influence on literature as our curriculum suggests than it has had on modern day religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment