Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lift a Joyful Noise.

The bible's influence on music that we talked about today in class made me think of one of my favorite bands, mewithoutyou. Just as the bible uses metaphors and myths to record history or teach a lesson, mewithoutyou often incorporates brief allusions to biblical stories that act as metaphors for their modern lives.

The song that came to mind was In a Sweater Poorly Knit:
"in a sweater poorly knit and an unsuspecting smile little moses drifts downstream in the Nile a fumbling reply, an awkward rigid laugh I'm carried helpless by my floating basket raft..."

Other bible allusions on this album include:
"Daniel broke the king's decree,Peter stepped from the ship to the sea there was hope for Job like a cut down tree,I hope that there's such hope for me..." (Sun and Moon)

No comments:

Post a Comment